Monday, March 7, 2011

Neutral Makeup Tutorial

     I have been asked a few times to do makeup tutorials and I wasn't sure if I wanted to at first because it involves really close up pictures, which my camera isn't the greatest at taking.  But I decided I would try anyway.  I meant to post this sooner but I was really busy with papers and school lately (what else is new.)  I wasn't sure what colors I should do because while I might wear bright blue eyeshadow, not everyone does, lol!  I figured a neutral one would be most useful to everyone and I think I'll do a more colorful one later if anyone wants me to.

First, I put on foundation.  I've been using Revlon Photo Ready Foundation (shade 001 Ivory) lately and I love it because it gives full coverage and is pretty matte.  I usually use my fingers and then a small fluffy brush to blend it in, but you can use whatever you prefer.  (I'd also usually put on concealer but I ran out so I just used some extra foundation under my eyes)  Then I put a peachy blush, NYX Terra Cotta, on the apples of my cheeks and up to my temples using a big fluffy brush (Sonia Kashuk.)

Next, I put a translucent powder (Maybelline Translucent Oil Free loose powder in light 1) over my whole face using a kabuki brush.
 Here's what my face looks like after those steps. (Ignore my hair in all of these pictures, I hadn't fixed it yet)

Here's a picture of the brushes I'll be using for my eyeshadow, my primer, and my eyelash curler:
Before applying any eyeshadow I always apply an eyeshadow primer because it make the colors look better and it prevents creasing.  I like to use Urban Decay's Primer Potion. 

On to the eyes: First, I applied a little bit of white in the inner corners of my eyes.  I used a NYX jumbo pencil in Milk.
Then, I applied a black eyeliner (Urban Decay in Zero) to my waterline by pulling down a tiny bit on my eye.
On the lids of my eyes, I applied a light peachy color (Too Faced, Peach Fuzz) using a flat stiff shader brush to pat on the color (don't sweep the lid color, pat!).  Then I applied a light brown/beige color (Too Faced, Teddy Bear) to the crease of my eyes using a soft fluffy brush (now you can sweep back and forth to blend the color).

 Next, I used a shimmery gold color (Too Faced, Honey Pot) to line under my eyes using a pointed stiff brush.
Lastly, I applied a light shimmery color (NYX, highlight) under my eyebrows as a highlight color.
Here's some pictures of the eye makeup:



I also applied 2 coats of mascara (1 coat of  Josie Maran mascara in Pitch Black and one coat of Benefits's Bad Gal Lash in rich black) 

On my lips I used a NYX lipstick in Tea Rose, a deep pinky color, and a nude colored Too Faced Glamour Gloss in Pillow Talk.   

  Tada!:


               

This isn't an extremely difficult or colorful look but it's good for work or school, or when you can't wear too much dark/colorful makeup, or if you just don't like wearing a lot of bright colorful makeup.  I'd usually wear this type of makeup when I have to visit Elementary Schools for college or if it goes with whatever I'm wearing or I don't feel like wearing colors.


Thanks for reading!  Please follow my blog for updates if you'd like. :) Should I do another one of these? Any looks/color requests? 
                                                                                                                
                                                                                                                   Xoxo Gabriella






42 comments:

  1. Oh wow you are stunning! I love your make-up looks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial! Love your look.

    Leon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, thank you! I really enjoyed this. It's a simple look, yes, but very handy in many situations...like when you don't feel like "really" doing your make-up or looking too made up. I have a lot of the products you used and they're all great! Urban Decay eyeliner has gotta be my absolute favorite. I use their gel eyeliner a lot...have you ever tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley: I'm glad you found this helpful. I've never tried Urban Decay's gel eyeliners but I adore their pencil ones and pretty much all of their products I've tried so I'm sure the gel ones are great too. I'll have to try one soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice blog!
    x

    ps please join my giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post doll! Your make-up looks stunning thanks for the little tutorial x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I came across your blog through Dulce's comment section and just wanted to comment. I love how you did a makeup tutorial through pictures. I have been wanting to do this on my blog but I didn't want to do a video. So thank you for this post. I also love the NYX pencil you used. Where can u find NYX cosmetics?

    findinghaven.blogspot.com
    Check out my blog if you're interested.

    Thanks & keep up the great blogging :)
    -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am new to your blog and love the outfits you put together. This makeup look is so cute yet simple and of course you should do more tutorials!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great tutorial! Your makeup looks absolutely gorgeous. I'm always a fan of natural makeup, but I'm pretty much clueless as to how to wear it.
    Have a great weekend!
    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for following me. Following back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. the makeup turned out really great! a perfect day look!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww the make up look really cute and natural, i love your blog, my name is Gabriela too, i´m obsessed with florals too, love to wear it specially in dresses, i also wear a lot of bows, like your blog we really have a lot in common, chek out mine when you have time please :)

    http://screwprincecharmingiwantyou.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sorry to spam, but today is my blog's 4 year birthday and I am celebrating it with a giveaway for all my followers! Like you!

    Juliet xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. great tutorial! =)

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't wait to see more make-up tutorials, maybe a funky evening look? That would be cool! I'm now following you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this post!Great tutorial!!!
    http://chiccastyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your eyes!! Got to love using that shimmer ;)

    http://ladyonaroof.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for all of your sweet comments everyone! I'm going to try to do another tutorial soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous tutorial! You look gorgeous. I love the simplicity of this look.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like it! It's natural but gorgeous!
    DC
    xx
    http://dentelleetchocolat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a lovely simple makeup and will be perfect for my work but i am not very good at keeping them on throughout the day! They are usually gone by mid day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. so lovely, I love the final result :)
    I'm following you, follow me too *.*
    thanks, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very beautiful eye make-up! I obviously have something to learn from you! :-)

    xx

    http://missingsparkles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gabriella you have such a fun blog!!! So happy I stopped by!!! I'm your newest follower.
    Visit and Follow me at http://aadreamsblog.blogspot.com/
    xoxo
    ani

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love neutral eye make-up... and the coral lips look amazing

    http://vanityseeker.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. i love ur make and ur collection is OMG... lovely... jewl organizers are also amazing..... :)


    follow

    http://fakhrarafique.blogspot.com/2011/03/gathering-150-beauty-follower-gangster.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. so fresh and so clean <3


    http://falalamele.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your makeup is really nice, love the eye makeup. :)


    xoxo,
    Addie
    The Cat Hag

    ReplyDelete
  29. Benefits bad gal lash is my total must have. It seriously makes such a huge difference for me! Yes you should definitely do another one of these posts!
    Wearing It On My Sleeves

    ReplyDelete
  30. you look so beautiful!!perfect makeup!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love how natural and fresh this look is. Perfect for spring! I've yet to try Bad Gal lash, being a huge fun of Dior Show Black Out, but I'll def. be giving it a try next.

    The Pink Monocle

    ReplyDelete
  32. thank you for following!follow you back!

    ReplyDelete
  33. really enjoyed this!

    from your latest follower!!!

    come check out my blog- im having a huge giveaway :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. you are very nice, and makeup is also beautyful, I like too faced cosmetics:)

    www.mysweetstrawberries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. i am such a makeup novice, but you are amazing! you look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  36. careful pulling on your lower lids even a little, it can encourage wrinkles and sagging

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.
    Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! By the way, how can we communicate?
    Also visit my web site ; Urban decay eyeliner

    ReplyDelete

Comment here! I'd love to know what you have to say. :)