In today’s wedding series post, I’m going to show you how to make a lovely bridal shower umbrella. In case you missed the previous posts in this series, I’ve showed you how to make a handmade pretty wedding album, how to make treasure chest bridal shower favors, and how to make a gorgeous brooch flower bouquet. I’m not sure if everyone makes these umbrellas, but it’s always been a tradition in my family. My grandmother used to have a gorgeous one she’d made that was used for all the bridal showers in the family, but then that one got lost, so my mom and I decided to make a new one for my sister’s bridal shower this past summer. It’s a cute decoration and now she has it to save for her daughter’s bridal showers in the future. So, here’s what you’ll need and how to make you own (Of course, alter the decorations to fit your bridal shower theme and preferences.):
Supplies (All of which can be found at a craft store):
- Lace Umbrella
- Ribbon (I used light pink satin for the center parts, white to hang the butterflies on, and a frilly pink on the edges)
- Flowers (I used various pink, white, and yellow ones)
- Tiny pearl beads and jewels
- Sparkly Butterflies (&/Or any other pretty decorations that fit your theme)
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Get all of your supplies ready and plan out how you want to decorate your umbrella. There are tons of possibilities, so have fun!
- Start gluing on your various ribbons first. You can follow the lines/folds of the umbrella with one color like I did. Then add a different ribbon (a curly/frilly kind) along the edges. You can also add a few hanging pieces on each edge to add a pretty butterfly or flower, etc..
- Add pearl beads, jewels, and flowers along with any other decorations you have. It looks nice to add the flowers in a fun color pattern along the middle of two ribbon strips as well as in a circle around the center. Any way you add flowers, they’re probably going to look pretty, so have fun with it.
- Allow everything to dry for a while. Do not close the umbrella…ever! It’ll mess up all the prettiness! Tada, that’s all..it’s pretty simple and a fun craft to do for a bridal shower.
Of course, I wanted to take a few pictures playing with the umbrella.
Here’ what we did with it at the bridal shower. We hung it above where my sister sat to open her gifts.
It also makes a fun prop for pictures with the bride-to-be and her bridesmaids. Don’t we all look cute?!
♥♥ Xoxo Gabriella