How amazing is Nutella?! If you haven’t tried it (where have you been?), get some…now! It’s choclately hazelnut spread that tastes magical. For my boyfriend’s birthday this past July, I made him a double Nutella cake because it’s one of his favorite things to eat. He’ll eat it out of the jar with a spoon if you let him (maybe I’ve done that too on occasion…it’s so yummy!). The cake and the frosting both turned out super rich, chocolate-hazelnutty and delicious! Try it! Check out the recipe and more pictures below.
For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 Cup cake flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 stick butter at room temperature
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk (I sometimes just add a tsp. of lemon juice to whole milk or whatever you prefer and let it sit a few minutes)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 or 2 squares of baking chocolate
For the Nutella Buttercream Frosting
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup Nutella
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Nutella Layer Cake:
1. Heat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, butter, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed with a mixer for about 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (the batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans, and flip over onto wire racks. Cool completely.
Nutella Buttercream Frosting:
1. In the bottom of a stand mixer (using the paddle attachment), cream the butter and sugar together on low until well mixed. Add the Nutella and increase speed to medium. Beat for two minutes.
2. Add the vanilla extract and salt, beating for an additional 30 seconds.
3. Add the heavy cream and continue to beat for about one minute, or until frosting lightens slightly in both color and texture.
4. Frost all the layers of your cake, decorate it, and enjoy!
See, Nutella cake makes a happy boyfriend!
Here’s some cute pictures of us on his birthday, being cute and silly. <3
Dress: Target. Wedges: Avenue, Belt: Downtown Philadelphia somewhere?, Earrings: Forever 21, Lipstick: MAC Ruby Woo (one of my favorite reds!)
♥♥ Xoxo Gabriella